moving day front

new camp site is just what i need for a couple months of re-fits and bolt downs for the big run.   fitting to my what-comes-next theory, a snappy cold wave pushed thru last nite.  last satellite pic from ridge camp was a clear one.  we’ll see how good reception is at the new site, moving the house trailer in the morning.

d1

movingday

Back from the Races

50th Kinetic Grand Championships.  i helped out by being part of the Amateur Radio team that relays the course.  Here’s “disco Daren” at the finish line in Ferndale.  They made him wait at the city limits he was 11 minutes before noon.

DCIM100GOPRO

DCIM100GOPRO

Riveting Experience

There is something inherently Zen about anything in quantity “one thousand”.  These are “6-6 Closed End” rivets direct from jersey that should be a watertight seal when done.  i sure f’n hope so, i’ve burned throu a couple hundred now.

CIMG4825

a Faraday cage is only as good as the smallest hole.  same thing for rodent proofing.  started with the biggest holes and working down to the smallest.

CIMG4848

most of these where hatches for the appliances which are all gone now of course.

IMG_0851

both sides of the door frame required complete rebuild of the footer and frame as someone apparently pried open the extra added locks.  i’ve got the original door handle working again and that’s all i’ll likely do, locks are really only for honest people.

IMG_0852

and this was hiding under some aluminum foil.

CIMG4840

easier to replace the footer than to try and align all those rivet holes.

CIMG4834

so excited about things coming together i even moved my bench in !!

IMG_0854

and now that all the walls are secured again, time to deal with all the roof issues.

CIMG4856

 

 

 

Bobbin goes to the burningmans2017

i went to the burningmans and lit my Hare on Fire.

thanks to Michael Beattie for the pics.

DSC_9855

 

DSC_9842

DSC_9840

DSC_9834

DSC_9832

DSC_9831

DSC_9813

DSC_9804

DSC_9796

and once all working i attached him to the trailer i built in 2 days and we rode around looking for other fire till the LP tank went empty.  30 gallons of LP over 5 days.

 

DSC_2760

DSC_2752

DSC_2751

 

finally floored.

plywood is f’n expensive these days, shylocked the last three sheets, called a sundown deadline on getting the floor in, done.

IMG_0768

i added a stringer across the 3 foot stretch, must have been a tank here they left out any support under the shower or something.

IMG_0769

and the drain required a notch cut in the frame.  not sure if this was a factory thing, might weld a replacement gusset, but for now at least the floor is supported.

IMG_0771

ok, i think we’re ready to sheet.

IMG_0775

hardest one in.  yes, it goes 1.5″ under the wall channels.  lets just say “bigger hammer” kept playing in my head.

IMG_0774

measuring from back to front, there’s 1/64″ delta side to side.  might work.

IMG_0780

how i got the second piece in is a trade secret.  popeye would have been proud of both my bashing and cursing.  the center piece between the wheels required all my “negotiation” skills to squish everybody in snug.

IMG_0781

tada! aprox 24′ x 7′ of shop space now has a floor!!!  still have to drill and bolt everything down, and maybe some more negotiations here and there, but ima gonna call this project officially “over the hump”.

IMG_0782

i was told a complete re-floor could not be done without removing the shell completely.  i’m rather pleased with how well (get it? wheel well?) this actually worked out with the shell “floating” on the front and rear end sheets and wheel wells.

IMG_0773

found the door again.  there isn’t a snug rivet in the whole assembly.  i think my future has a lot of drilling in it and take it all the way down to the pieces.

 

Fixing the Bones

so looks like the rear frame had some rust and bad-installer damage.  the outrigger pieces hold the shells weight so need to be somewhat integral.  i cut out 2 damaged ones, replaced 2, and added 2 more in the back.

20170706_182526

one of the new outriggers in the back.

20170706_182530

this one the center stringer was “torn” loose at the top weld.  not exactly a quality job, but re-welded enough to BE STIFF.

20170706_182548

replaced, repaired, modified, bones DONE !!!

now just need some cash for more plywood :)